Staff Java Database Developer at Applied Research Associates in Raleigh, NC
Applied Research AssociatesRaleigh, NC
Staff Java Database Developer
ARA is expanding our team of developers to accommodate growth in our defense-oriented enterprise systems project portfolio, which includes support to the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and Intelligence Community. We are looking for software developers interested in developing enterprise-scale database systems that leverage Java technologies. As a member of this team, you would be designing, developing, and enhancing web/cloud-based multi-user database systems.
ARA offers a highly dynamic work environment where employees create and apply advanced technologies to a wide range of engaging and complex domains. Our customers in the Defense, Homeland Security, and Intelligence sectors perform critical national-interest missions and rely on our systems to accomplish them successfully.
ARA teams are highly interactive, constantly improving, and driven by a passion for the types of work they perform.
ARA is an employee-owned company with potential opportunities for future employee growth; these may include additional projects, technical leadership, software architecture, and project or personnel management. We are currently hiring to fill multiple gaps created by rapid expansion and are anticipating continued growth. We are therefore entertaining candidates at multiple experience and education levels, with compensation to match capability. Staff Java Database Developer
Required QualificationsAll Candidates must have the following to be considered for this role:
* Teamwork: An ability to work well on a project team that often includes interdisciplinary experts. We are looking for people that get along well with others in a collaborative setting and can also work independently when needed.
EducationA minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a relevant area (e.g., Computer Science) along with 2-4 years' experience.
A positive can-do attitude befitting of an ARA employee-owner and understanding about how their career objectives might map to ARA's Core Values of Passion, Freedom, Service, and Growth (see for details).
* Security: All of our projects for this posting require candidates to have the ability to attain some level of US security clearance. Therefore, only candidates with US citizenship can be considered for employment under such projects and existing clearances will be strongly preferred. For junior levels, the above may be sufficient. However, to attain more senior levels and higher salary levels, candidates will need to have additional experience, education, and/or expertise in relevant technical areas. During the interview process, AR
A will work with candidates to assess a potential offer/level/salary and project fit relative to our existing staff and teams. Staff Java Database Developer Desired
QualificationsCompelling candidates will have a combination of the following relevant experience/Skills:
- SQL (e.g., MySQL, Postgresql, Oracle), and non
- SQL (e.g., Mongo, others)
* Service Interfaces
- HTTP/HTTPS/SSL, Web
- Services (e.g., JAX-RS), Servlets, JSP, JSF, Spring, EJB, or similar.
* Web Standards
- JSON, XML, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), and similar.
* Web Client Standards
- Eclipse, IntelliJ, source control (e.g., Git or SVN), build tools (e.g., JDK tools, Ant, Maven, and Gradle), continuous Integration (e.g., Jenkins, TeamCity), Task/Bug Tracking (e.g., Jira, Mantis, Redmine, etc.)
* Cloud Tools
- Docker, Kubernetes/OpenShift, virtual machines, AW
S services, and other cloud services.
* Design Tools
- UML, Use
- Cases, Class diagraming, Entity Relationship diagrams
* Development Processes: Agile, Spiral/Incremental processes.
About Us: Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,400 professionals and continue to grow.
ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on the merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) calculator!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), a benefits package, relocation opportunities, and challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norms. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, "Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit" sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source
- AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs, and so on. We are also very proud of our Women's Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com. Equal.
DescriptionEqual Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesPayTransparency.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-
More Angular Jobs
Uh oh! Something went wrong. Please try again.