Senior Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering
Senior Software Engineer, Site Reliability EngineeringJob DescriptionIn this role, you have the opportunity toContribute to the reliability strategy and implementation of complex problem solving within one of the largest Philips flag ship platform and application solutions. As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you will either participate within the core SRE team or act as a partner to an existing feature team. You will advocate and act as a subject matter expert for Philip's infrastructure within your product area using communication to manage a variety of global initiatives. You are responsible forAs a Site Reliability Engineer you will address system instability through monitoring, fault tolerance, support tooling, capacity management and adoption of architecture patterns/practices within the platform. The engineer will pursue relentless identification and implementation of fault tolerance within a full stack of micro-service-oriented architecture ranging from low-level code resiliency to infrastructure availability. The goal will be to reduce the toil involved in maintaining the operational ecosystem, replacing manual processes with tooling and automation, and bringing overall reliability to all internal/external functionality of an enterprise ecosystem. Additional responsibilities include:
* Maturing the environment readiness and QA activities by additional automation
* Understanding new technology capabilities needed to acquire and develop programmer/developer talent
* Leading the efforts to build robust monitoring solutions while expanding our current monitoring and alerting footprint
* Leading emergency response efforts in conjunction with field engineering leadership to establish root cause analysis and permanent solutions to improve availability, response and recovery times
* Championing capacity management efforts
* Ensuring applications are performing efficiently, collaborating with application teams to resolve application performance issues.
* Managing change control for applications and platforms
* Championing automation efforts to reduce or eliminate manual processes
* Coaches and mentors engineering or other SRE team members. Utilizes Agile and Lean practices to identify and solve systemic issues.
* Consults with management in the analysis of short
- and long-range business requirements and recommends innovations.
* Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision-making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
* Direct, hands-on, technical contribution to highly complex software endeavors which range from design and coding to aiding with implementation
* Review designs with an eye toward increasing the holistic stability of our platform and identifying potential risks. You are a part ofThe Site Reliability Engineering team extends our current DevOps competency and works in conjunction with the Engineeringgroup to support and maintain our distributed cloud based Micro-service application. The SRE team is an integral part of ensuring that our applications are resilient as well as performant to keep our customers satisfied
This role will initially be based in our Murrysville office. Philips will be relocating this office to a new site in Bakery Square, one of the premier locations in Pittsburgh. This is a very exciting time to be joining Philips, as this new location will be the Sleep & Respiratory Center of Excellence. The new office is set to open in late 2020.To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
* 7+ years' experience in a technical software role dealing with complex enterprise software landscapes (devops focused development)
* Java software development experience delivering commercial SaaS solutions
* Experience with Python, Ansible (or similar) is a plus
* Has worked with Agile methodologies
* Working experience with SQL and NoSQL storage
* Experience implementing RESTful service-oriented architectures with public APIs
* Experience with Amazon Web Services and cloud software deployments
* Experience with Linux; Docker and additional operations experience is a plus
* Experience with web technologies such as:
* Experience with third-party enterprise software integration & solutions
* Experience in performance tuning, instrumentation and architecture best patterns and practices
* Experience with best in class application monitoring (APM) tooling
* US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship fora work-authorized visa.
* Company relocation benefits will not be provided for this position. Candidates need to live within commuting distance to this office. In return, we offer you
Sharpen your talents with new challenges in our dynamic organization. As a market-driven company, we're used to listening to our customers & apply the same thinking to our employees. We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits and flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further. Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions. It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-###-####, option 5, for assistance. Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran#LI-PH1#LI-REMOTEContactIf you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to ...@philips.com.(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)