Principal Engineer/Architect - Telemetry Data Platform
Your OpportunityWe are looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. Members of our group work closely with engineering teams, product managers, and leadership to turn business problems into technical solutions by providing architectural expertise, mentorship, and design guidance. This position is in our Telemetry Data Platform which operates a large scale data pipeline; allowing customers to send, store, query, and stream their data at scale. Opportunity to work from a remote office may be available depending on applicant location. What your playground will look like
* A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of containerized services across 60+ agile teams.
* A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment accepting over 50 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers and querying more than 1.5 trillion data points each minute.
* Linux, Docker, Kafka, Thrift, Java, Ruby, Python, Java
Script, Go and that's just the beginning of the technologies in our stack. What You'll Do
* Collaborate with the data platform engineering leadership to build our technical strategy.
* Steer teams toward technical decisions that fit well with the long term vision.
* Help teams choose the right tools for the job at hand and utilize the chosen technologies efficient.
* Identify and drive to resolution any cross-team and cross-org technical issues, working with other Architects and leaders as needed.
* Communicate, communicate, communicate: Architects serve as the connective tissue between teams and organizations for all technical matters. Your
QualificationsIf you are ready for this job, you've spent years building high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You have had plenty of front-line experience in the past, and are now more interested in how complex systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You've made mistakes and learned from them, but you've also been a part of excellent successes. Must-have:
* 8+ years of technical leadership helping engineering teams thrive
* Experience building and operating high-scale distributed systems
* Ability to collaborate and impact decisions at the interpersonal level
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Masters Degree or PhD in a STEM field will be great.
* Full stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
* Experience with Java, Apache Kafka, and Apache Flink
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Our OfficeOur office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)-all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up. About UsNew Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry's largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world's best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We're proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.Founded in 2008, we're a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every 'Relic' can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We're consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com. Our Hiring ProcessIn compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers' means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Read more here: https://newrelic.com/termsandconditions/applicant-privacy-policy