Machinist at Gleason Works, The in Rochester, NY
Gleason Works, The📌 Rochester, NY
You will be redirected to Gleason Works, The's preferred application process.
Machinist - Mazak Lathe
Gleason is the global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of technology solutions focused on power transmission including gearing. We participate in many of today's emerging markets including electric vehicles, automation, renewable energy and the transition to a digital economy. Our products and services are used in over 60 countries around the world. We are looking for an experienced Machinist to join our Spindle Manufacturing team to run a Mazak Lathe on 1st or 2nd shift.
Position SummarySet up and operate a variety of conventional and/or CNC machine tools to produce precision parts and/or instruments by applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures. Verify product by inspection of precision parts to meet defined print specifications. Machine Tools Include:
* Lathe - turning to .001" tolerance
Job Responsibilities, Knowledge,
* Perform a full range of machining operations on most types of conventional or CNC machine tools and their various attachments.
* Has a broad knowledge of various metals that enables the Machinist to produce the desired cuts and finishes on each material.
* Advanced skills in determining work procedures, machine, tools, equipment, and attachments to be used; proper type and size of raw stock; sequence of machining operations, and the speeds and feeds necessary to attain the required finishes and tolerances.
* Setup, operate and debug programs on a variety of CNC machine tools.
* Understand a variety of machine controls and able to make necessary manual inputs to insure accurate dimensional tolerances are achieved.
* Advanced knowledge of trade mathematics including plane geometry and the use of trigonometric functions and machinist handbook formulas.
* Establish needed dimensions such as those required for chasing threads or machining angular surfaces; locating and marking surfaces and angles to be machined, locating reference points, or performing other layout work necessary to facilitate accurate job setups on a variety of conventional or CNC machine tools.
* Manufacture an entire item, carrying out all machining operations necessary for completion, and performing precision handwork such as filing, scraping and lapping to fit, assemble, and finish machined parts.
* Expertise in using many types of advanced precision instruments and equipment such as vernier calipers, height gages, squares, protractors, inside, outside and depth micrometers, surface gages, v-blocks, parallel bars, gage blocks, dial indicators, optical and mechanical comparators, ring, bore, plug, and go/no-go thread gages to attain accurate dimensions and maintain tolerances.
* Provide basic, intermediate and advanced training to Machinist Level I and II on most types of machine tools. Can assist others with intermediate to complex machining processes, programming edits and problem solving. All Machinists are required to:
* Have basic computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is a plus.
* Meet daily/weekly production targets.
* Comply with all company policies, procedures and practices
* Follow all department processes/procedures through consistent application of sound quality assurance principles.
* Work cooperatively with all team members.
* Multi-task and engage in work related activities to maximize productivity.
* Be willing to learn and participate in operations and development of equipment within the cell.
* Actively participate in Continuous Improvement initiatives and 5-S projects to support improved operations and cost reduction.
* Participate in activities related to improvement in Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) by contributing ideas to reduce scrap and rework.
* Willingness to work overtime and different shifts as needed to meet productivity requirements and customer expectations. Preferred Education/Training/Experience:
* High school diploma or equivalent required
* Associate's degree in Advance Manufacturing/Machining desired
* Basic computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is a plus.
MANUFACTURING ENVIRONMENTPHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in a manufacturing environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to use proper lift assistance for any objects over 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in a manufacturing environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts; wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONSTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. Employees are required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their manager or supervisor.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed and is not an all-inclusive summary of job duties and responsibilities. The omission of specific statements or duties and responsibilities does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change. Gleason is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to age, disability, genetic information and/or predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, victim of domestic violence status, arrest or conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. As a member of our team, you would be an integral part of our future - where our global employees work collaboratively together to ensure a positive and successful outcome for all of us. If you think this position and culture might be fit for you, please apply today!
* Pay Type Hourly
Required EducationHigh School.
* The Gleason Works, 1000 University Avenue, Rochester, New York, United States of America
You will be redirected to Gleason Works, The's preferred application process.
Job Expires: February 13, 2021
More Angular Jobs
Uh oh! Something went wrong. Please try again.