Java Microservices Developer with Security Clearance
Design. Disrupt. Repeat. Be an agent of change on a team committed to achieving client-focused, mission-driven excellence. Steampunk is looking for an experienced Java Microservices Developer with an appetite for taking on new challenges. Who We Are Steampunk is the explosive collision of human-centered design and traditional government contracting. An employee-owned company with a startup mindset and time-tested approaches tailored for the federal government, we're passionate about creating solutions that are impactful, practical, scalable, and most importantly, that meet our clients' ever-changing needs. At Steampunk, we believe in disrupting the status quo and setting the pace in the ecosystem of government contractors, while repurposing tried-and-true methodologies. We believe in empowering our people to find creative solutions to intractable problems. We believe the best environment in which to grow and thrive is outside our comfort zone. While good design makes for a good product, we believe human-centered design makes for an excellent one. We also believe effective teams are powered by diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. To that end, Steampunk is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability status, and protected veteran status, amongst our ranks. Additionally, we participate in the E-Verify program. Why Steampunk?
Our people are the very core of what we do; their expertise and hunger for new and exciting challenges fuel our relentless pursuit of mission success. As part of our team of "Punks," you'll test the status quo, explore new boundaries, and set the bar high for how government clients expect to engage with contractors. Because we value our employees' work/life balance (and believe those who work hard deserve to play hard), we offer a very competitive benefits package, including telework/flex scheduling, health/dental with orthodontics/vision insurance upon hire, paid time off with a sell-back benefit and carryover option, 11 Federal Holidays, 100% paid military leave, 100% 401(k) plan match upon hire, professional development/education reimbursement, all flexible spending accounts, and more Steampunk is supporting a government customer that is organized into agile teams working to develop integrated solutions using the Agile/SAFe Framework. The Senior Java Microservices Developer will work as part of an agile development team to build and support enterprise-class software applications. The current technology stack includes front-end web interfaces, web services, server-side business logic batch jobs such as extract-transform-load (ETL), and database backends. We provide solutions range from large scale ground-up custom developed applications, to cloud based development and integration services as well as customizing industry sector focused packages. You would get opportunities to work on all adjacent area technologies such as user interface/user experience development, integration services, business rules engine solutions, or cloud based service. Contributions As a Java Microservices Developer you will participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle which includes estimating, technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment, and support of application developed for our clients. As a member working in a team environment you will:
* Take direction from Solution Architects and leads on development activities.
* Help clients manage the complexity inherent with technology change, from requirements planning to architecture, testing to deployment, and beyond, helping to link their IT programs to organizational goals.
* Be responsible for designing, developing and deploying large scale complex software solutions at an enterprise level. These applications are often high-volume mission critical systems and would provide you an exposure to a broad range of technologies across all layers of architecture in the Java J2EE technology stack.
* Work with functional and technical teams on the project located across shores. You will need to understand functional requirements and should be able to develop technical design, using design patterns and be able to communicate the same effectively to the team members.
* Develop solutions following established technical design, application development standards and quality processes in projects
* Assess the impacts on technical design because of the changes in functional requirements.
* Perform independent code reviews and execute unit tests on modules developed by self and other junior team members on the project.
* Write well-designed, efficient, and testable code
* Interact with other stakeholders not limited to end-user clients, Project Manager/Scrum master, Business Analysts, offshore development, testing and other cross-functional teams. Qualifications 2+ Years of strongly skilled, hands-on core Java and J2EE skills while being well-versed on design patterns and related frameworks
1+ Years hands on with Web Services/REST APIs
Experience in Springboot, Spring Cloud, and Microservices
Experience in Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) methodologies
Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD)
Strong debugging, problem solving, and investigative skills with the ability to assimilate disparate information (log files, error messages, etc.) and pursue leads to find root cause problems
Experience with Agile/Scrum methodology
Seeks to be a future technology leader, a dynamic individuals energized by fast-paced personal and professional growth
Self-starter who can work independently
Skilled problem solver with the desire and proven ability to create innovative solutions
Possesses a flexible and adaptable attitude with discipline to manage multiple responsibilities and adjust to varied environments
Phenomenal communicator who can explain and present concepts to technical and non-technical audiences alike, including high level decision makers
Experience with automation tools, including Pivotal, Chef, Terraform, Cloud
Formation, or Ansible
Experience in cloud technologies like Pivotal, IBM Bluemix, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is a plus
Client-facing or consulting experience highly preferred Ability to obtain a security clearance
BA or BS degree required About steampunk Steampunk is a Change Agent in the Federal contracting industry, bringing new thinking to clients in the Homeland, Federal Civilian, Health and DoD sectors. Through our Human-Centered delivery methodology, we are fundamentally changing the expectations our Federal clients have for true shared accountability in solving their toughest mission challenges. As an employee owned company, we focus on investing in our employees to enable them to do the greatest work of their careers
- and rewarding them for outstanding contributions to our growth. If you want to learn more about our story, visit We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Steampunk participates in the E-Verify program.