Job DescriptionThe Digital News Design group at The New York Times seeks a technology-savvy interactive designer/editor to join our award-winning multimedia editors in the newsroom. This role will be expected to work with reporters, editors, producers, designers and software developers at The Times to craft rich, multimedia experiences for a wide range of projects including news and enterprise stories, across multiple platforms. This role will determine the needs and possibilities for graphics and multimedia packages, including statistical visualizations, video, photography, audio, and animations. In consultation with editors and other newsroom leaders, this role will exercise journalistic judgment, visual creativity and innovation while ensuring accuracy, clarity, and validity of the content presented. Design team members are expected not only to make exceptional contributions to the presentation of our journalism, but also to engage with others to foster an environment of learning and constructive dialogue about our work. Qualifications:
* Expertise with web development
- is required
* Basic knowledge of Git is required
* Experience implementing video, audio, photography, and game mechanics
* A pragmatic innovator whose solutions elicit responses that justify the effort and investment
* Ability to convey interactive story ideas and complex interactions with wire-frames or prototypes.
* Strong portfolio of design work
* Solid understanding of layout, typography, and storytelling techniques
* Smart UX sensibility
* Enthusiasm for designing and making great products and experiences, for current events and The New York Times
* Quick learner with creative ideas
* Ability to work collaboratively with a mixed-media team
* Demonstrated ability to create presentations that intelligently incorporate audio, video, still images and text. Job Requirements:
* 5+ years of design experience
* Attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to meet deadlines and to adapt to change in a daily, unpredictable news production environment.
* Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include nights and weekends.
* A keen interest in and knowledge of NYTimes.com's competitors, both in the United States and abroad. This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NYThe New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.