The short & sweet summary.
The company helps companies like Zapier, Credit Karma, and DollarShaveClub make smarter people decisions - like how to predict turnover, build diverse and high-performing teams, and compensate fairly.
We’re hiring a Full-Stack Engineer to own technical projects across our stack - someone who wants massive impact and growth opportunities in a small, fast-growing team. We’ll give you as much opportunity as you want to handle. This will be a transformational, career-defining choice for you (and for us!) as the company continues to grow.
Note: We’re also filling more specific roles for front-end, back-end, and success engineers! Check them out on our careers page.
Your focus will be building high-quality features that deliver delightful user experiences and system improvements that help enable product velocity and scale. You’ll collaborate with other engineers (and directly with the company founders) to solve complex technical challenges as we deliver against an ambitious product roadmap.
You’ll work across the stack - from complex visualizations (React/D3) to predictive data models (Python/Airflow) on managed infra (AWS/Salt).
What you’ll accomplish.
In your first week, you’ll:
- Deploy to production with a simple bug fix or system improvement, and pair-program with a the company engineer to learn how we build. (In fact, you’ll do this on your first day.)
- Get personally on-boarded by the company founders and learn more about the company’s mission, culture, and values. You’ll write a user manual and a Personal Development Plan outlining exactly how you want to grow over the next 6-12 months.
- Join our weekly sprints and start picking up projects alongside other engineers that contribute to our product and engineering roadmaps.
In your first month, you’ll:
- Own a small but important launch. You’ll build and ship a user-facing feature, for example improving our user login with a more professional design and UX, or building a new integration with an HR system’s API and deploying it in Airflow.
- Understand our code base and architecture. You’ll learn our full stack (from ETL scripts in Airflow, to our Django/React web app, to our AWS/Salt infrastructure), since your projects will require you to interact with all components of our system.
In your first three months, you’ll:
- Own an ambitious technical project that immediately impacts our users. Some examples from our roadmap:
- Building interactive employee visualizations (React/D3)
- Creating styled consistent components for a new design system (React/CSS)
- Implementing role-based permissions in our web app (Python/Django)
- Building predictive analytics and alerts (Python/pandas/numpy)
In your first year, you’ll:
- Continue to drive product improvements and feature builds. With more experience, you’ll pick up bigger and bigger pieces of our product roadmap. You’ll learn design patterns and code practices that help you grow as an engineer.
- Invest in system improvements to maintain product velocity. You’ll understand our product, systems, and roadmap well enough to advocate for tools and infrastructure investments that make development faster and easier.
- Look back and see your immense growth. You’ll look back after a year at the company and realize you've grown 10x as fast as you would have anywhere else!
What will help you succeed.
- Experience working in small, high-velocity product teams. You know how to ship product and work in teams that value fast product iteration. You’re comfortable weighing trade-offs between functionality, quality, and technical debt.
- Drive, ambition, and grit. You’ll join a world-class team, with investors and advisors who are founders/CTOs of billion-dollar companies. You’re inspired to work with great people who hold themselves and each other to high standards. You’ll have massive ownership and a steep learning curve, picking up new responsibilities as you grow.
More about the company.
Our team: Our CEO, Joseph, spent years immersed in people analytics research and helped found an innovation team at Nike that grew 10X in a year. He’s also a Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient. Our CTO, Nikhil, studied physics & CS at Harvard and has spent a decade building products in data analytics and machine learning.
Our technology: Our data pipeline (Python/Airflow) ingests employee data points from recruiting and HR platforms, then aggregates and consolidates this information into cleanly-structured people data (PostgreSQL/pandas). Our web application uses this data to generate create insightful analytics and visualizations (Django/React/D3.js). We use AWS infrastructure, and SaltStack to streamline dev ops, scaling, and deployment.
- Be intellectually curious and humble. Have an insatiable desire to learn, not to be right. Be a “learn-it-all,” not a know-it-all. Have strong convictions, but listen to and learn from others.
- Believe in exceptional outcomes. Believe that ordinary people can do incredible things with the right attitude and will. Be positive, inspiring, and optimistic. (At the same time, acknowledge the demanding work ethic and drive required for success.)
- Get it done. Focus on rapid learning and execution, and be willing to roll up your sleeves and contribute any way possible. Be indomitably resourceful, drive through obstacles, and deliver on goals.
- Help others be great. Treat your teammates, customers, and partners with respect and kindness. Have a positive impact on others in all interactions.
If the role isn’t an exact fit but you’re interested in learning more, send us a thoughtful note at