Front-end Web Developer (Privacy)
Would you like to work with protecting people’s privacy online? We’re a newly formed non-profit that aims to help people live in a modern world, online and offline, without having to accept indiscriminate surveillance and data gathering.
As part of this mission we are expanding our technical staff and are seeking an experienced web app frontend developer that is highly motivated and willing to dive into diverse technologies to help us build a great user experience.
Your principal duty will be to develop the frontend for a new single-sign-on (SSO) service that ties together a set of web apps for our members, all of them oriented towards protecting your data and privacy. Our working prototype is currently being built with Flask and Azure SQL with a (very) simple front end served by Flask. Our inclination is to go with Vue for a new front end with the Flask server to be purely restful API. Angular2 is probably a better long-term choice, but it has a steeper learning curve. If you are experienced with Angular (or for that matter another framework), then we’re happy to consider that. (After all, tools and languages are there to serve the developers, not the other way around.)
More specifically, duties include:
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based applications
- Create quality mockups and prototypes on tight timelines
- Assist back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting
- Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms
- Maintain graphic standards and branding throughout the product’s interface
- Provide website maintenance and enhancements
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Experience with various modern front-end tools
(e.g. Webpack, jQuery, Bootstrap, etc. or equivalents/alternatives)
- Proficiency with, or interest in learning, Vue.js (or expertise in an alternative)
- Experience with user-centric UX design
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Documented talent and experience in building a modern single-page application (SAP)
- Experience with responsive and adaptive design
- Familiarity with Python, proficiency is a plus; familiarity with Flask a plus
- A good understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Strong problem solving, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of, and an interest in, contemporary privacy issues
The job is a full-time, salaried position, with competitive benefits.
Hiring manager is founder and president Peter Magnusson, formerly head of Google Cloud, VP of App Development at Snap, and Senior VP of Oracle Public Cloud (LinkedIn:PeterSMagnusson).
We are an equal opportunity employer. Our location is in midtown Reno, Nevada. We can cover relocation expenses. You can also respond to this job opening by sending your resume to: careers+23069 (at) magnusson (dot) institute. You can reach us with any general concerns at the above email, or write us at: Magnusson Institute, 1 E Liberty St #600, Reno, NV