Director Software Development - Retail Systems
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask "How did I ever live without Coupang?" We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -
- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the "50 Smartest Companies in the World" by MIT Technology Review and "30 Global Game Changers" by Forbes.
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
About the role:
In this role you will build and lead a global development team focused on the design, building and operation of systems that will drive management of retail selection on Coupang. The systems you build will 1) Help retail teams at Coupang manage millions of products by providing real-time decision support and automation and 2) Improve how vendors manage, market and merchandise their products on Coupang.
Retail Systems is responsible for helping Coupang scale the retail business to include millions of products from tens of thousands of vendors. We build decision support systems, self service tools and an automation platform which enables retail teams and vendors to be more productive.
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, software development methodologies and scheduling, a track record of shipping software on time, services development, and people management to this high-accountability role.
- Strong technical credentials, with at least 10 years leading or managing software development teams, ideally with hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience.
- Experience building, managing and working with international teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrate proven technical leadership.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or the equivalent strongly preferred.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. High on bias for action.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Development experience in OOP, Java, Java
Script Frameworks (Node, Angular, React), UNIX, XML, Web services, and UNIX tools.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or MBA strongly preferred.
- Large scale distributed systems experience is a plus.
- Effective communications skills (both verbal and written)
- can present to executive team.
- Can quickly build technical credibility.
- Smart about choosing between fast and right.
- TPM/PM experience.
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing company
- Free medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 15 days PTO + 15 national holidays off
- 401K matching
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Mobile & fitness reimbursement
- Flexible working hours
- Catered lunches twice a week
It is the policy of Coupang Global LLC to afford equal opportunity for employment to all individuals regardless of race, color, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, history of disability, ancestry, citizenship status, political affiliation, religion, gender, transgender, gender identity, marital status, status as a parent, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or other factors prohibited by law, and to prohibit harassment or retaliation based on any of these factors.